Today's cryptic clue type is the container, where the wordplay involves putting some extra letters (a word, an initial, an abbreviation) inside another word. Try this:
In this clue, a word for "mammals that fly" is wrapped around a single letter representing "hot" to give a word meaning "tubs"
Containers will always have an indicator that references either one thing going inside another, or one thing going around another.
Words for around include:
- Words related to eating or consumption: “eat,” “swallow,” “gobble up,” “consume”
- Words like “take”, “grab,” “get”
- Prepositions like “around,” “outside”, “with”
- Words about surrounding: “encasing,” “encircling”
Words for inside include:
- prepositions like “in,” “inside”
- words like "breaking"
Have a go at this one – note that the surface sense is extra-confusing here, and several of the words are being used in misleading senses!
Today's Cryptic: Containers
And on to today's cryptic! Containing many fine clues....